<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 20, 2004

Wade Miller non-tendered 

In a mildly surprising move, the Houston Astros non-tendered starting pitcher Wade Miller.

Miller team with Roy Oswalt to provide the Astros with a great young 1-2 punch in the rotation from 2001-2003, but missed much of the 2004 season with shoulder problems. After making $3.4 million in 2004, he was likely looking at a $5 million salary in 2005, and the Astros decided to cut ties with him rather than risk paying him to sit on the D.L. all year.

Shoulder injuries are always a risky proposition, but Miller's track record is such that I'm surprised the Astros couldn't get anything for him. The Rangers, I'm sure, will talk to him, but will no doubt decide he's out of their price range...I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up making more on the open market than he would have made in arbitration.


4 comments
Comments:
Hi. First, I think your blog is great and I love your opinion on the Rangers and how they have poorly managed the team this offseason. I just saw that the Angels added Orlando Cabrera and cut David Eckstein. I just don't see how the rangers are going to be able to realistically compete with the Angels, who continue to improve their team this offseason with the likes of Steve Finley, Paul Byrd (someone who the Rangers should have signed but let go to Anaheim), and now Orlando Cabrera. I really feel like the Rangers should make their move now. They can do this by signing Eckstein, who is a gritty, hard-nosed player, who would fit perfectly in the Rangers clubhouse. We could then move Young back to second base and trade Soriano in hopes of improving our rotation. Just a little rant on how I feel about the Rangers this offseason thus far. Hicks needs to step up to the plate and make a move, I really feel like the West can be ours, now that Oakland has taken themselves out of contention with the losses of Hudson and Mulder.
 
Hi. First, I think your blog is great and I love your opinion on the Rangers and how they have poorly managed the team this offseason. I just saw that the Angels added Orlando Cabrera and cut David Eckstein. I just don't see how the rangers are going to be able to realistically compete with the Angels, who continue to improve their team this offseason with the likes of Steve Finley, Paul Byrd (someone who the Rangers should have signed but let go to Anaheim), and now Orlando Cabrera. I really feel like the Rangers should make their move now. They can do this by signing Eckstein, who is a gritty, hard-nosed player, who would fit perfectly in the Rangers clubhouse. We could then move Young back to second base and trade Soriano in hopes of improving our rotation. Just a little rant on how I feel about the Rangers this offseason thus far. Hicks needs to step up to the plate and make a move, I really feel like the West can be ours, now that Oakland has taken themselves out of contention with the losses of Hudson and Mulder.
 
Don't be stunned to see HOU and Miller agree to terms on a prearranged, inventive-laden deal.
 
I'd be surprised if there were a pre-arranged deal...Purpura's comments in the Houston Chronicle today seemed to suggest that they were cutting ties.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?